Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Duality

Cody takes me to work three days a week so that he can have the car to take Joshua to daycare and go to class. To get to the building where I work, we have to bypass a gate, where a BYU police officer sits and checks the ID of everyone who comes to the gate. This morning, I flashed my ID as usual, but apparently she couldn't see it, so she asked Cody to roll down his window.

"Are you a faculty member?"

I replied, "No, I'm a staff employee."

"Okay, I just couldn't see your ID very well. Thanks!"

And we drove on.

Then, from the backseat comes a little voice: "You're a staff employee? But I thought you were my mommy!"

I'm both, my son--both those things and many, many more. But it's comforting to know that, to him, I will always be, first and foremost, his mommy.

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

CUTE!!!! :D

kari said...

He's a smart little guy! Sweet.

Brianne said...

Aww, tender! =) Identity theory is probably a little above Joshua's comprehension level right now, but not to worry, he'll get it eventually =)