Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I love to see the temple...

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we really are so blessed to live where we live. I mean, there are at least five temples within an hour driving distance from our house (Provo, Timpanogos, Jordan River, Salt Lake, and Bountiful), and there are soon to be two more in the same vicinity (Draper and Oquirrh Mountain). What a privilege it is to be surrounded by so many temples and to be able to go and feel the spirit of heaven.

That privilege was reinforced for me today. We had the opportunity to go to the Draper Temple Open House this afternoon. Seeing as how it's not dedicated yet, we were able to bring Joshua with us--the first time he's been inside a temple (technically he was there a few times while inside me, but you know what I mean). It was a very special experience. It's a beautiful temple, as they all are, but it really just helped bring home the meaning of temples. It was so powerful to look around at all the beauty that was there and to share it with my family. As we entered the sealing rooms, I was reminded of my own sealing to my husband, Cody, and I marvelled at how we have been given the ability to be together forever--and that because we were married in the right place, our son can be with us forever, too. Wow.

We've been given the option of viewing a broadcast of the temple dedication, which will take place on March 22nd. I don't think Joshua's allowed to go, and I doubt we'll be able to find a sitter for him. I told Cody that he should go alone, seeing as how he's never participated in a temple dedication before. It would be nice if we could both go, but I'm okay staying home if it means Cody can experience it. It really is a blessing to live in this day and age, a time when temples dot the earth (the Draper Temple will be the 129th operating temple in the world) and the work of the Lord can go forth. I've made a renewed commitment to go more often. I want to feel that Spirit again. And I encourage all of you who can to do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad you could go. Isn't it beautiful? Craig and I are getting sealed in sealing room 2 (one of the medium-sized ones) :D

kari said...

Carina,

You are so "centered" in the Gospel, and it makes my heart sing. Yes, send your sweet Cody to the dedication with YOUR white hankie, if you still have it. Or get him a new white one. You truly are blessed to live there so close. Let's go to Draper temple next time we go up there, k?