Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy

Remember those old Hefty commercials, where they showed someone trying to lift a garbage bag only to have it tear apart and spill its contents all over the place? Then comes the voiceover: "Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!" And the response: "Hefty, Hefty, Hefty!" At least, that's how I remember it.

So why do I bring this up? I think "wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" should be my motto from now on. Why, do you ask? Simply this: my 15-month-old son beats me up. And he's done it several times. Of course, it's never intentional--but there have been at least five times, all within the last month or two, when he's bonked me on the head (usually in the nose) and pretty much incapacitated me. And he suffers no injuries himself.

For instance, last night: he conked me on the left cheekbone with his forehead, leaving me in tears, and then followed it up five minutes later with another head to my lower lip, giving me a slight fat lip. Meanwhile, he's just as happy-go-lucky as ever. I'm sitting there crying, Daddy is trying to get Joshua to understand that he hurt Mommy, and Joshua is just smiling and laughing. What is wrong with this picture? =\

I just hope he learns soon that he has an incredibly hard head and that, while it doesn't seem to phase him when he whacks it against his mommy, the same cannot be said for this wimp of a mother. Or maybe I just need to get a thicker skull myself.

6 comments:

Mickelle said...

Ooooh, that sounds painful. You should take a self-defense course. :)

Karin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Poor Carina! I'm going have to keep this in mind for the future . . . Sounds like he is such a boy :D

Jess/Nate&Family said...

Carina that is so funny, kind of. Tavis does the same thing to me and he thinks he is sooo funny. I've had numerous black eyes, and fat lips but it helps if you laugh instead of cry although it encourages him a little more. There is no winning, sorry. You guys look awesome though and I love that you love being a mom, there is nothing better!
Jessica

kari said...

My poor poor little Carina! It's HARD being a mommie! My target was my feet. I cannot begin to say how many times my feet got tromped on (HARD) by you kids. It was never intentional, and you weathered it mine--me? I got tears in my eyes too. Hang in there--eventually he will get it. At least he's not being intentionally mean!

Jared and Laurel said...

Oh, man, I understand! And I'm sure there's more to come...but the thing that makes it easier for me to bear is the simple fact that he's so innocent and sweet, just getting a kick out of it all. If he realized what he did, my baby would cry so miserably that I'd wish it was only me suffering after all. :)