Thursday, July 3, 2008

6 months old, a tooth, and solid foods!

Joshua had his 6-month appointment on Monday (a little overdue, but that's okay). Our little (big) boy is now 19 lbs 12 oz and 28 1/4 inches long! If I recall correctly, that's in the 80th percentile for weight and the 92nd or so for length. I think he's going to be long and lean like his daddy. Everything else looked good, the doctor said! He even had a tooth looking like it would come in any day...which it started to do that night, actually. It's not very visible yet, but I can certainly feel it. Anyway, since Joshua is now 6 months old, the doctor encouraged us to start him on solid foods. Kind of intimidating, but Cody and I were excited for this new development. I went and bought spoons and some rice cereal that night, and we planned to do it the next day. So, Tuesday evening, we gathered in the kitchen, armed with the video camera, the digital camera, some rubber-tipped spoons, a bib, and some really runny rice cereal. We sat Joshua in his swing (still haven't bought a high chair, so the swing has to do for now...thank you, Dana and Melissa!) and started trying to feed him. I won't say he's a champ at it yet, but he certainly seemed to be interested! We gave him another spoon to play with beforehand, but we had to take it away because he would rather suck on that than eat the food. Here he is beforehand, just patiently waiting...he had no idea what was in store for him:And here he is sucking on the spoon...that kid will put anything in his mouth:I love this facial expression. My little bug-eyed boy!:Cody took a break from the video camera and tried it out:Yeah, it got everywhere, and it was really really runny. But he's getting better at it!So, we'll just keep trying it every night until he gets better, and then maybe we'll introduce some veggies or fruit or something. It certainly is fun, and definitely a new experience! If anyone has any advice on this whole new deal, we'd be happy to hear from you!

4 comments:

Writing Group Blog said...

That's so funny. I can't believe babies can eat that stuff. I have no advice, but I'm sure you're doing great!

kari said...

AS for advice, MAYBE you should check out Damon feeding Audrey on their web site! He's pretty adept, and may have counsel for his Aunt Carina. Joshua is such a cutie, and seems to be "weathering" the food just fine. What fun!

Mamapierce said...

A good memory that I have of you was when I got to spend some time at your place after Heather was sealed in the SLC Temple. We'd known each other as kids - but during that time I was able to get to know you as an adult and I greatly enjoyed that. Thanks for being you! :o)

The Hulls said...

Benjamin loved green beans... try those next!!