Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dedication?

I've been thinking a lot over the past few days and decided it was finally time to write some of my thoughts done. So, I decided to take advantage of my lunch break, and here I am. This post is prompted by an assignment given by my RS President last week, and that was to share a few of my thoughts regarding a portion of the Relief Society Declaration, more specifically this sentence:

"Dedicate ourselves to strengthening marriages, families, and homes."

Honestly, I was kind of puzzled that I was assigned this part of the declaration, mainly because I'm far from the ideal wife and mother. And I don't mean that as a slight to myself--I'm referring to the current situation of my family. It had always been my plan to stay at home with my children. That's what I envisioned would happen when I was growing up and even up until a few months after Cody and I got married. But that's definitely not what actually did happen.

Most of you know that I currently work full-time away from home and part-time from home (amounting to 9 or 10 hours of work each day), and that my husband stays home with our son and goes to school in the evenings. This is most definitely not the norm in Mormon culture. The norm, as I see it, is usually the following: if the couple marries while the husband is still in school, the wife works while the husband finishes his degree, and they delay having children until he graduates and they are more financially stable, and then the wife can then stay home once they have children. If children come before the husband graduates, he takes on a full-time job and takes classes in the evenings so that the mother can stay home.

Obviously, this is not the case in the Alleman Family. And I'm really not trying to complain about it--we know without doubt that we were supposed to have Joshua when we did. But I do have to admit that it hasn't been easy, this being a working mother. I went back to work full-time when Joshua was just four weeks old, and though I was able to bring him with me for a few hours each morning, I still resented the fact that I had to work when he was so tiny. As Joshua's birth drew closer, I can remember feeling so jealous of the women around me who were also pregnant and looking forward to quitting their jobs just before giving birth. I often thought, "Why wasn't this going to happen to me? Why can't I stay home too? Did I do something wrong?"

So when I was assigned this topic by my RS President, I didn't quite understand what made me an authority on dedicating myself to marriage, family, and home--I could think of many other women in our ward who spent more time focused on their marriages, families, and homes. They had it all down pat and could offer tons more than I could. I don't even remember what I said, though I do know I tried to avoid talking about myself and my current situation because I just didn't want to get into it all. As the lesson wore on, there were comments made about how grateful some sisters were for their hard-working husbands who make it possible for them to stay home. And try as I might, I could not help but feel the jealousy burning once again.

But as I've thought more about it since church on Sunday, I realized something: yes, my situation is not ideal, but it works for me and my family. My husband has gained so much from staying at home with our son--and he often mentions that, once he finishes school and works so that I may stay home, he will understand how hard it is to care for children and that he will help out as much as he can. And I like to think that I treasure more the few hours I get with Joshua every day. Would I change things if I could? Of course I would. I would love to stay at home. But resenting it and being upset about it doesn't help anything.

So, I guess I will conclude that I dedicate myself to my marriage, my family, and my home by working hard to provide for them. It is my labors that help us survive, that pay our rent, that allow us to purchase the things we need. Working makes me treasure the time I have with Joshua so much...and even though he can't read yet, I want to apologize to him for not always giving him my complete attention for the 2-3 hours I see him every day. I will try to be better.

I'm grateful for my jobs. I'm grateful for the income they provide and that they give me satisfaction. But I look forward to the day when I can say that my full-time job isn't a paid position with healthcare benefits--it's being a wife and mother, which pays more and gives more benefits, emotionally and spiritually, than any other full-time job could ever hope to give.

Those of you out there who do have the chance to stay at home with your children, please do something for me: give each of your children a hug and a kiss and tell them how grateful you are for being able to stay at home with them. I know it's hard, but please treasure the time you have. I hope you realize how lucky you are.

9 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I appreciate this post. My sister-in-law is the breadwinner of her family and she has often told me how she wishes she could stay home, but that isn't how it has worked out for her family. She has told me, however, how grateful she is for her husband doing all the chores that need to be done at home. :o) I am proud of you for putting your skills to use to help take care of your family. I am inspired by you.

Ivy Alleman said...

i am really good at looking into the deeper message in things. I think that part of the message can be case by case.

when i think of "Dedicate ourselves to strengthening marriages, families, and homes."

I totally see that you are doing just that. You are working so hard so that your husband can get through school to he can better provide for you in the future. In that you are strengthening all 3 your marriage, your family, and your home.

I think that this not so "norm" situation is going to bring you closer as a family. Make you appreciate the little things and the work and effort that gets put into it. And unite you as a family. you will be blessed for your hard work!

So i think that statement has a much deeper meaning then what we think of off the top of our heads...

Well to me at least!

Ivy Alleman said...

and PS- there is light at the end of the tunnel. This is only temporary, that gives you hope!

Svedi Pie said...

I love this post, it's beautiful. You know Craig's been gone and it is really hard - it downright stinks. But one thing I keep telling myself is we're working hard to reach our goals. We're progressing, and moving forward together.

I think that's exactly what you and Cody and Joshua are doing. Yeah it's super hard and sometimes it really really stinks, but you all are working hard to move forward and work together. It's a real sacrifice and it's beautiful. I really admire you a lot for that, it's a wonderful thing. And it is nice to know that Cody has the chance to really bond with his son, it's really sweet to see him take care of Joshua.

Sarah... said...

Carina, I really enjoyed this post! I think you should have given my part of the lesson "The nobility of motherhood, and Finding joy in womanhood" Or...something like that! Jonny and I were just talking about you the other day, were your ears burning? :) We were expressing how neat we think you guys are. There aren't very many couples these days that have a family regardless of their situation. That's very admirable in our book. We've actually been in your shoes before. I'm SO grateful that I don't have to work anymore. It truly is a blessing. I know I complain, and moan about how tired I am at times, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Seriously, though, don't every put yourself down. You're a fantastic mom while working to get her husband through school. How many women can say that? Most put their families off until it "logically" makes sense. Hang in there. I have no doubt the Lord is pleased with Cody and you. You're doing the very best that you can. You are one of the most dedicated mother's I've ever met. I admire you! Things will eventually get to where you want them to be. It seems to take FOREVER...heck, Jonny's still in school, and we have three kids. I've heard of worse, so I'm not complaining. Sorry this is so long! Hang in there, and know I'm here for you if you ever need ANYTHING.

kari said...

Ah, my sweet Daughter. Your tender thoughts bring tears to my eyes--I too wish you could stay home, but I am SO proud of the work that you do for your "men", and for your willingness and good attitude about it. You are still the glue that holds your family together--the heart of their home and family, and their lives do revolve around you more than you know. Your influence continues even while you are away. When you ARE home full time, sooner than it feels like right now, this time will feel like a "small moment", I hope. Love and kisses.

Chad and Tara said...

Carina, I of course love your post. I guess I grew up in that atypical Mormon home where my mom worked my entire life. In fact, my mom was working full time, going to law school and was pregnant with my sister all at the same time. At no time in my life did I ever feel like my mom was not there for me. I truly believe that there is nothing wrong with this and everyone's decision for what is best for their family is between you, your husband and your Heavenly Father. Don't ever let anyone make you feel bad for making choices that are best for your family. I will have to work once we have a little one come along, but I know that my family will be provided for because of that.

Writing Group Blog said...

Carina, you are incredible. You inspire everyone around you and I know you are a fantastic mommy. You know I think it's more common for women to work outside the home than not. My mom has worked my entire life and she never ever wanted to do it. She still hates it, but she still has to do it. And she is my hero and as others have said, I never felt like my mom wasn't there for me. I just respected her for doing what she had to do for our family. That's exactly what you're doing and you're doing it well. You're showing 100% dedication to your family because you are doing whatever you need to do to make your situation work. So is Cody. You guys are both amazing and I hope you know that so many people love you and admire you for who you are and what you do.

Mickelle said...

Carina,

What a great post! It takes great strength to see past our lives' challenges and appreciate the blessing that God grants -- especially when the blessings are not exactly conventional in coming about.

This stage of life is a season. It can be the most unnerving, frustrating, and seemingly endless of seasons, but it will pass. At least, that's what priesthood blessings perpetually tell me.

LDS culture gives us a very narrow view of how life is supposed to look. I subscribe whole-heartedly to that ideal, but it is just that: an ideal. Struggling with our fertility, I definitely learned that life can be different and still be beautiful. There is not just one way to strengthen marriages, families, and homes. These are truths I know, but ones I sometimes struggle to fully live.

And Carina, I think you did things just right having Joshua when you did. Heavenly Father doesn't wait until we're perfect to grant blessings or revelations or help the gospel progress and he doesn't want us waiting around until we think things are perfect before we press forward with our families, either. (Or, that's my take.)