Thursday, December 4, 2008

Needing ideas...

Cody and I just realized this morning that 1) Joshua's birthday is in two weeks and 2) Christmas is in three weeks. There's a lot to do before those two events! We promised ourselves when Joshua was born that we would do our best to keep his birthday separate from Christmas, so even though he won't remember this birthday, it has to be a special occasion. I'm looking for ideas--what kind of presents should we get for him? I've heard some say that we should get him stuff for him to play with now for his birthday, and get stuff for an 18-24 month old for Christmas. That way, we can save the Christmas presents and bring them out during the summertime. We may do that...I haven't talked to Cody about it yet, though, so we'll see.

That being said, what kinds of things do you get for a child between the ages of 12 and 24 months? To give you an idea of where he's at developmentally, he just started walking, babbles constantly, loves climbing onto things (a very recent development), and seems to have a 2-minute max attention span (I know that will change soon, though). I think we have plenty of clothes for him for now...I would get clothes for him for next summer, but the stores don't really have those out in December yet, so we'll have to wait on that. I'm thinking books and toys, but what? I've been thinking about getting this table. Apparently it should still be interesting to him until he's 2 or 3, so I'm hoping it's a good investment. Or would it be better to get a bunch of little toys? All of you experienced mommies out there, please give me your ideas! And anybody else that wants to chime in as well, please do so, of course...your opinions are just as valid =) Thanks in advance!

4 comments:

Shalece said...

Hey Carina, I read this and thought I'd help :)

At that age, things to climb on, or musical type things are great- go to toysrus.com and look up these things, just some ideas! -
*LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table
*Fisher-Price - Learning Home Playset - Laugh & Learn
*Power Wheels Li'l Kawasaki Boy's Sport Quad ( I don't know your budget, this is more costly, we got one for my son and he LOVED it, but we got a great deal on it)
* And my FAVORITE, Fisher-Price Baby Gymtastics Bounce & Spin Zebra
We borrow this from my sister in law and my daughter loves it!!
*One more, Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Song & Story Musical Chair, my son got this for his first birthday 3 years ago, and it has gotten some good use out of both kids! They love this too
That age they love the ride on toys too.

Hope this helps a bit :) Have a great Christmas!

Mickelle said...

I. Have. No. Idea. But please, keep blogging once you've made up your mind. I'm going to steal your ideas and use them as Betsy gets older. No pressure.

Carina said...

Heh heh...thanks, Mickelle. I'll keep in mind that others are counting on me and that their children's happiness is dependent upon me and my birthday-present-buying decisions. =P

The Hulls said...

My son always liked anything that made a lot of noise that second year. Toy pianos, hammers, etc! :) Also, I'm not sure what your feelings are on one-year olds watching television, but Baby Einstein movies are awesome if you're trying to take a shower! I also like the idea of getting him "older" toys for Christmas. You can have him play with them for a day or two, then pack them up for a few months. This works for "non-older" toys too. Packing up half of any child's toys and then giving them back a few months later ALWAYS makes them more fun!! For Benjamin, we don't put out Christmas presents until after his birthday (12/19) so that the two holidays are separated at least in the gift giving. Just some ideas. Good luck and Happy Birthday Joshua!!