Thursday, February 19, 2009

23rd Annual ACERC Conference

Well, it's almost here! Probably 90% of the reason I have my job is because of an event that will take place on Monday and Tuesday of next week--the 23rd Annual ACERC Conference (ACERC = Advanced Combustion Engineering Research Center...you can see why we abbreviate it). I am the ACERC Secretary, and that means I'm pretty much in charge of organizing everything for this conference--registration, scheduling, communication with presenters, catering, etc. It's a huge undertaking, and it makes me pretty busy. This year, though, things are going a lot more smoothly, partially because it's my third conference and I know what I'm doing now, and also because the registration is now done online so that removes quite a bit of my work. I still have had a lot to do, of course, and I'll be glad when it's over and my responsibilities resume their normal levels. Having it all go off without a hitch (well, with as few hitches as possible) would really give me satisfaction, so hopefully it'll go well. I probably won't understand much--if anything--of what is said at the presentations, and since I have to attend, I'll get some good reading done, so that's good. I just hope I don't forget to bring something vital. Wish me luck!

Edited to add: I just found out this morning (Friday) that, after two years of trying to get BYU to do some sort of press release about this event, I've finally succeeded! You can read it here. They put it in better terms than I ever could. So yeah, that's what this conference will be all about. Thanks for letting me share!

3 comments:

kari said...

You will do GREAT, Carina! We are keeping a good thought and praying things go smoothly for you. Details, details, yes? No worries. It will be over soon, and you can heave a big sigh of relief, which feels SO good!

Love ya.

Anonymous said...

good luck with everything! I'm sure it will go well :D and then afterwards we can have some fun together :)

Mickelle said...

Oooh, I'll be so happy for you to have that over with. I can only imagine the stress. So, any time next week works for me. We are GOING to get together; you just tell me which day!