Monday, August 3, 2009

Road Construction...ai ai ai

I have never seen so much road construction in all my life as I've seen this summer in Provo, Utah. I live in Orem but work in Provo, so I have a commute--but it's usually nothing big, just a 15-20 minute drive along surface streets.

The main road I take is University Avenue, which has a speed limit of 50 mph. Not too shabby, eh? Well, unless there's road construction. Those orange barrels have become the bane of my existence this summer. I've been trying to avoid the hassle by taking another route, giving me a speed limit of 35 mph but mostly smooth sailing. This morning, though, I thought that I should give University Avenue another try.

Big mistake. I left at the normal time, 7:35am, which puts me at arriving to my office at BYU by 7:55 or so. However, thanks to the lovely road construction along University Avenue, I didn't arrive until 8:03am, where I was greeted by my boss, who hates it when the office isn't open by 8am (I'm in charge of unlocking the door), my assistant (who is always punctual), plus three professors who needed to talk to me. Wow. It had to be this morning...

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for those who keep the roads clean and in good condition, and I understand that it's virtually impossible to do it during the winter. But...well, it's just annoying, that's all, and I had to vent somehow. I guess I should just probably plan for a 25-30 minute commute for the time being, huh?

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

That stinks. I'm sorry! Your new background is cool - I love the colors!

Svedi Pie said...

Craig and I were just talking about all this road construction (I don't know if you've been up to the airport lately but there's tons of it on the way there - both I-15 and Bangerter.) Ok, I was complaining about it, because you're right it's awful!! But he said he thinks it stimulus money paying for it and he gently reminded me "Baby, these workers have probably been out of work for months, this is really good for them."

Not that I'm trying to correct you, but as soon as he said that the construction didn't bother me so much. I hope it isn't so obnoxious for you anymore!! :D

kari said...

I will proceed with caution....ah joy.