Thursday, January 21, 2010

Progress...step by baby step

I know it's only been a few weeks since we really started working with Kids on the Move, but I can't help wishing things were going faster. I know I should be patient because such a significant delay will take awhile to overcome, but I really want to see huge progress NOW. I want my son to talk to me! I want him to let me know that he recognizes what things are around him instead of just grunting or making (while still very adorable) animal noises. I want to point to a picture in a book and ask him what it is and have him at least attempt to name the object. I want to hear him call me "Mama." I want to be able to talk with him, not just to him. Is that too much to ask?

Well, I've learned in the past couple of days that yes, it is too much--for now. Joshua IS making progress, and I need to recognize that fact. He can sign a few things already, and we're trying to teach him more and get him to sign without being prompted. And he understands so much of what we say. It helps that he's really curious, so he's pretty responsive to new things. It's good to know that he is able to communicate with us, even though it's not in the ideal method yet.

Realizing this, I have come to a conclusion: as much as I want to see the huge steps forward immediately, I need to be satisfied with what progress he is making. And I need to count my blessings, because he is such a sweet, loving little boy, and he brings such joy to my life. So if you ever hear me complain about the situation, remind me of how fortunate I am to have such a son. And I'm sure that, within a year or two, he'll be talking so much that I'll wish he would be quiet for a few minutes. At least, that's what I tell myself now during the frustrating times.

6 comments:

Ivy Alleman said...

Oh sweet Carina, i cant imagine how hard this is for you. My heart goes out to you guys... You are a strong person and you can do this!!! It sounds like he is progressing and making steps in the right direction and you're right, before you know it he will be talking up a storm...

In the meantime be patient and know that its all in the lords hands... Things may not happen for us on our time line but trust in the lord that he has something bigger planned and there is some sort of reason for this (i have to tell myself this OFTEN)...

I will keep you guys in my prayers!

oh and my niece didnt really start talking until she was 4... sometimes it just takes some time...

HUGS

Mamapierce said...

Anna wasn't talking when she was 18 months old and it was frustrating for us. Then we ordered the SIGNING TIMES dvds and problem solved! She began signing and we could FINALLY communicate with her. I highly recommend ST to you. They can be pricey, but I have found a couple of libraries that carry them & you could check them out and see if Josh takes to them.

Also, you might consider having Cody give Joshua a blessing. Tyler gave one to Anna and it was nice to hear that she would overcome her speech delays and let me tell you - SHE HAS!!! ha ha.(((HUGS)))

Writing Group Blog said...

Carina, you are a super mom.

kari said...

We pray every day....

He IS an amazingly sweet young man, and we are so proud of him AND YOU!

Mickelle said...

I think you have come to some wonderful conclusions on the subject. Heavenly Father is always accepting of the pace we move, as long as we're going in the right direction. We live in a world obsessed with comparison and competition, but thankfully those aspects are irrelevant in His gospel. I think we become closer and closer to Heaven as we do likewise in our homes. You are doing awesome.

Amy said...

Someone told me that Albert Einstien did not talk until he was four. I know that Joshua is a smart kid and he will talk when he is ready. Just keep encouraging him and notice all of his other talents as well. You are a great, loving mommy.