Thursday, November 5, 2009

Words that touched my heart

I wish I'd come across this quote when I was writing my post on Dedication last month. Better late than never, I guess. These words spoke peace to my heart this morning, and so I wanted to share them with you. They come from Gordon B. Hinckley, who was the Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for most of my teenage and young adult years:

"I recognize...that there are some women (it has become very many, in fact) who have to work to provide for the needs of their families. To you I say, do the very best you can...It is well-nigh impossible to be a full-time homemaker and a full-time employee. I know how some of you struggle with decisions concerning this matter. I repeat, do the very best you can. You know your circumstances, and I know that you are deeply concerned for the welfare of your children.

To you women who find it necessary to work when you would rather be at home, may I speak briefly...I honor you and respect you for your integrity and spirit of self-reliance. I pray that the Lord will bless you with strength and great capacity, for you need both. You have the responsibilities of both breadwinner and homemaker. I know that it is difficult. I know that it is discouraging. I pray that the Lord will bless you with a special wisdom and the remarkable talent needed to provide your children with time and companionship and love and with that special direction which only a mother can give. I pray also that he will bless you with help, unstintingly given, from family, friends, and the Church, which will lift some of the burden from your shoulders and help you in your times of extremity.

We sense, at least in some small degree, the loneliness you must occasionally feel and the frustrations you must experience as you try to cope with problems that sometimes seem beyond your capacity to handle. Sometimes you need food for your tables, and we trust that bishops will be there to supply food and other goods and services under the great program which the Lord has provided in his Church. But we know that more often your greater need is for understanding and appreciation and companionship. We shall try a little harder to cultivate these virtues, and I urge you sisters who are in a position to do so to reach out with greater concern to those who find themselves in these less fortunate circumstances."

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for speaking to my heart and my spirit through the words of one of Thy servants. I really needed to hear this today.

1 comment:

kari said...

What beautiful words from our prophet. He said it all, Carina, and his words do speak comfort, don't they? This won't last forever. And I am sure the Lord knew Joshua's personality and that he could handle this situation just fine when he sent him first to your family. You and Cody are doing a GREAT job on this goal to get you home to your family one day!